Choices Choices… and 1 is just as crazy as the other…

That was how my morning started out yesterday.  I had planned to meet some other girls at 5am for a run.  I had 12 miles on my schedule and I was joining them for 8 of it.  My alarm was set for 4am.  The forecast was for rain … I went to bed early and prayed it would still be dry for the run in the morning.  At 3am, I was woke up by pounding rain on my roof and against my window.  Grrrrr… it was coming down hard.  I drifted in and out, not really sleeping until my alarm went off an hour later.  It was still pouring… hard.  I got up… and promptly text the girls that I was wimping out and not meeting them to run in the rain.  I  jumped back into my warm bed and thought out my options.  I could wait it out, the satellite looked like it was going to clear out around 6… or I could suck it up and go to the gym at 5:30 and just knock it out.  I reset my alarm for 4:30, again, not really sleeping as I weighed my options.  If I waited it out, I would have to start work very early to compensate for the time for the run later.  If I went to the gym, I could just get it out-of-the-way and be done for the rest of the day.  I opted for the latter.  I pulled myself back out of bed and started getting ready to head to the gym.  I didn’t know if I would make it 12 miles indoors, I figured if I made it 8 or 10, I’d be happy… in the back of my mind I was really expecting to be done at 8 so I didn’t bring any gels or water with me.

I opted for the indoor track to start, planning to jump on the treadmill for the second half.  I had downloaded some new music on my iPod and added it to my running playlist and I was counting on that keeping me pumped up and motivated through this run.  As I started counted laps (11= 1 mile), I decided to just count and take it 1 mile at a time and see where I end up.  It felt good, running on the track at least generated some wind to keep me naturally cooled off and I was watching the rain continue to pound down outdoors.  Before I knew it, I was at mile 6 and still feeling good!  At this point, I told myself to just stick with it and get this done!  At 7 1/2 miles, I was starting to feel it- the tiny laps were starting to get to me.  I just thought that this workout is making me mentally tougher for what I may be up against in the Green Bay Marathon next month.  I just kept going.  By mile 9, I was getting tired.  I plugged on, going round and round the track for 10 miles.  That’s 110 laps!  And I felt like I had enough of the circles.  I hopped on the treadmill, turned on Morning Joe on MSNBC and set my pace.  I was a mess.  I was weaving all over the place on the treadmill!  I bumped into the side rails a couple of times… I could definitely feel the effects of not drinking throughout the run.  At this point, I knew it was too late to start hydrating.  I trudged to 11 miles and stopped.  I was done.  I felt like I had nothing left.  Strangely, it was a great feeling.  I started out thinking I’d quit after 8, I plugged through to 11 miles, completed 110 laps during that time and knew from my exhaustion that I really gave it my all.  🙂

This morning was my Saturday long run- 16 miles.  I’m happy to say that it was pretty uneventful.  I met Rob, my personal trainer, to get started at 5:30am.  He is preparing for a run across Iowa next month to raise money for cancer research and had completed 40 mile yesterday and had 35 on his agenda for today.  We started out slow, which was great for my tired legs!  We looped through Water Works park for a little over 8 miles and then met Andrea J. back at Greys Lake for another 8 mile loop.  Unfortunately because of the slower pace, we were behind schedule and I had to teach spin at 9, so we decided to shorten the route to 6 miles and I would try to finish up at the gym after class.  We looped up to Principal Park and back for 4 miles and added a loop around Greys Lake.  This put me at 14.5 miles just about at 8am.  I decided to just pick up the pace and finish the last 1.5 miles on my own there and get it knocked it.  I did a quick out and back around the lake, hitting 16 miles right as I got to my car= perfection :).

Spin was tough!  My legs were spent… but once I got warmed up again, I was good to go and rode 9 miles with the class this morning… I finished with stretching and a soak in epsom salts.  Then headed to one of my bestie’s baby shower… so fun to celebrate milestones with friends.  I am so thankful to have such great influences and great friends in my life 🙂



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s