Ants in the Pants

I woke up before my alarm went off at 4:45 this morning.  That, alone, was very annoying.  Not knowing what to do at that early hour, I laid in bed, willing myself back to sleep until the alarm sounded.  For the first time (maybe ever??) I jumped out of bed when the alarm finally did go off, instead of hitting snooze.  This gave me an extra 10 minutes.  As I started to move around and get ready, I noticed several text messages from my friend, who I was planning to meet at 5:30 for a quick run.  She had decided to sleep in.  I immediately stopped getting ready and hopped back into bed, hopeful that my early rise would let me get a little bit more sleep.  Not so.  As I laid there, I felt like someone had sent a shot of caffeine directly into my body through an I.V.  I thought about the clothes I had packed for this weekend and how they were definitely too warm for the 70 degree weather in the forecast in Phoenix.  I started planning out new outfits in my head, making mental notes of what I needed to take out of my suitcase and what I needed to add.  After 15 minutes, I decided to just give in and get up out of bed.  And of course, what is the first thing I do?  Make coffee.  As if I didn’t have enough adrenaline and anxiousness coursing through my body.

With Morning Joe on MSNBC in the background, I shifted between work and (re)packing.  Before I knew it, the sun was starting to come up and it was 8:00.  Time for a “normal” day to begin and I had already accomplished so much!  I decided to get myself ready for my last run pre-marathon.  Bisou was excited to see that she was going with on this outing (she’s been a nervous Nelly the past few days as she’s noticed the suitcase, packing, and her toys and food going into a weekend bag for her).  As we started out, I noticed my niece and her friends walking to school ahead of us.  They scooted off the sidewalk as we got close and called “hi” as we passed by.  Before I knew it, I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see my niece running alongside me now :).  Love that girl!  We high-fived and Bisou and I headed off in another direction.  I took it slow (actually, surprisingly slow at some points… ) and got nearly 3 miles in.  My stomach was not good.  It has not been good all week.  That, had better rectify before Sunday.  One thing that could blow this race that is out of my control, is my stupid GI issues.  I do not want to run a tour of the porta potties, I want to run and enjoy the beauty of Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe.

GI issues aside, I feel ready.  I mean, I guess I better be at this point, right?!?  I’m exited to see my friend and coworker tonight and to celebrate with her post marathon on Sunday.  I’m excited to take in the Expo tomorrow, watch Spirit of the Marathon (my pre-race tradition), and spend some time visualizing my race, relaxing (or trying to??) in my hotel room.

I’m headed out soon for a pasta/carb load lunch with my parents before they drop me off at the airport.  To that, Cheers! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s