I’m so happy today is Friday! I think the time change with daylight savings played a part, but this week has just dragged on and on and on and… well, you get the picture 🙂
Plus, tomorrow I’m running the first Leprechaun Chase 10K held in Des Moines! I’m excited and nervous all rolled into one! It’ll be great to get back out and “race” again… my coach wants me to run it all out as a test to see where I’m at. Since I haven’t really worked that hard on speed training for a month or so, I’m pretty nervous… but, it’ll be fun and one my good friends is also running, so I’ll have some company!
This week I tried a recipe I found on the So Delicious Dairy Free Facebook page: Mashed Potato Quinoa Puffs. I’ll admit, it was the name that intrigued me :). I mean, who doesn’t love food that has the word “puff” in the name?!
- 1 lb. potatoes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups very finely chopped greens such as lacinato kale, swiss chard or spinach
- 1-3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil or Earth Balance Soy-Free Spread
- ¼ cup So Delicious Coconut Milk Unsweetened (almond or rice milk can be substituted)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Steam or boil until soft. Drain.
3. Mash the potatoes well or put it through a ricer.
4. Once the lumps are gone, add all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
5. Using a tablespoon, form into 1 inch balls or using two tablespoons, form the into rough “quenelles” or oblong discs.
6. Drop into parchment lined cookie sheet.
I didn’t have parchment paper and tinfoil with a light spray of olive oil cooking spray worked just fine :). I also used a variety of potatoes- purple, red, and gold and rainbow chard for the greens.
I had a few sweet peppers in my fridge, so I made a batch with some of those chopped up too.
7. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the puffs and bake for another 15 minutes.
The finished product is delish! I think I’ve found a new dish to carb load with! And it’s packed with protein from the quinoa and all the good stuff from the greens mixed in :). I think I’ll continue to play around and add other favorite veggies and maybe some dairy-free cheese. Enjoy! 🙂