When the Wheels Fell Off…

Hello!  Sorry I have been neglecting my blogging duties lately… my work schedule has taken me to Fort Worth and now to Atlanta for 2 different conferences.  The meetings have all been really good, however, I am feeling completely drained and mentally exhausted… which I think (at least I hope) led to my somewhat disastrous run this morning…

I was lucky enough to have 20 hours at home Friday night to Saturday morning to see the fiance and Bisou.  The fiance has actually taken the plunge and signed up to run is FIRST marathon- the Tucson Marathon with me in December!  So, I put together a training plan for us to follow together.  I’ll help him get through the long runs and he’ll (hopefully… fingers crossed…) help me with my speed work and keep me on pace during the marathon. With that, the plan was to wake up early Saturday morning and get our long run of 10 miles knocked out before my 11 am flight.  Well, after sharing nearly 2 bottles of wine Friday night… (it was over the course of 6 hours, don’t judge…) neither of us felt up to meeting for an early morning run.  Instead, we opted to meet for a leisurely breakfast and enjoy some quality time together :).

So, that meant we were both left to our long run solo… me in Atlanta.  I checked with the concierge last night and got a running route to Piedmont Park. I slept in a little longer than I anticipated and got going around 9am.  I knew that would mean a hot finish.  This is, after all, HOT-lanta!  Starting out, I felt great!  I was having fun exploring a new city.  The directions to the park were easy to follow- 2 miles to the entrance of the park and I was amazed by how beautiful it was!  There were green trees surrounding a small lake, providing the right amount of shade to keep me cool.  I followed the path and looped a green, grassy area and kept on running past a dog park, and eventually looped up with another trail that wound up to the outer park parameters.  I was enjoying to all ends! Until the wheels suddenly fell off.  All of the sudden, I was hot.  I was thirsty.  My legs felt like lead.  What’s more, my chest hurt. I felt dizzy and light-headed.  I felt like my heart was going to pound right out of my chest!  I was just over halfway through with the run.  I decided to stop frequently at water fountains and take a moment at each one to catch my breath.  What was weird, was even after catching my breath, my heart was still pounding like crazy.  I ran past a couple at one point and overheard the girl say “geez!… am I sweating that much?”  Yikes.  Yeah, I was one sweaty mess.  I reached the 7 mile mark and seriously considered heading back to the hotel and calling it good at 9 miles. I decided to make one last small loop before heading out of the park.  What I hadn’t realized in my blissful start to the run was that it was entirely downhill.  Which meant the 2 miles back to the hotel were a steady uphill.  I’m not going to lie.  I stopped my garmin and walked up a really steep hill immediately outside of the park entrance.  I was exhausted.  I was dizzy.  I was hot.  Thankfully, the tall buildings through downtown were providing lots of shade!  I ran through a questionable street corner filled with loiterers and one guy yelled out to me “whatever they told you, that’s just not good for you!” I didn’t stop to ask, but I’m assuming he meant running was not good for you.  At that point, I’m sure I looked like I was dying.

Finally, I made it back to the hotel.  I was at 9 1/2 miles.  That was good enough for me.  There are several factors that played into today’s run gone awry:

1. Travel

2.  Lack of sleep, coupled with mental exhaustion

3. Poor diet- I had trail mix for dinner Saturday night, yeah, not smart! And no breakfast pre-run

4. Excessive consumption of wine Friday night

5. Heat and humidity- it was mid 80’s by the time I finished running, with humidity it felt like 90

On top of those reasons, I’m pretty sure I had an asthma attack during my run this morning.  I cannot, for the life of me, remember whether or not I took my inhaler before leaving this morning.  Which, leads to think I probably didn’t. Thankfully, I don’t have asthma attacks often.  In fact, I can count how many I’ve had on 1 hand.  So, I wasn’t quite sure if what I was experiencing was one or not.  Based on this pretty accurate description of how I felt on my run this morning  from the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, I’m almost certain that’s what made me fall apart this morning:

“An asthma episode feels somewhat like taking deep breaths of very cold air on a winter day. Breathing becomes harder and may hurt, and there may be coughing. Breathing may make a wheezing or whistling sound.”

So, I have a choice here.  I can dwell on this awful run OR I can make some changes, get back on track with good sleep and diet and look forward to a better run next weekend.  I choose the latter :).  Cheers!


3 thoughts on “When the Wheels Fell Off…

  1. No dwelling or judgement, just be glad you accomplished the run. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. The only suggestion I have is- Eat before anything longer than 5!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s