As we are ramping up our mileage (an 18 miler is on tap for tomorrow!), I have been excited to indulge in more carbs this week! My friend, Kate, sent me this recipe and it was an excellent and healthy way to carb load! Not to mention, great comfort food in the midst of the blizzard that swept through the midwest yesterday!
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 4 roma tomatoes, dices
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot with the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion if softened.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir everything to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cooke for 10-15 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add the lime juice and remove the pot from the heat.
- Garnish with avocado