This week I decided to shake up my breakfast routine. I’m always looking for a high protein packed way to start the day with minimal carbs and this one definitely packs a punch!
Protein Punch Pancakes:
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup vegan greek yogurt (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon
- optional: 1 Tbs ground flax seed
- optional: flour to thicken batter
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 3 large strawberries
Put all pancake ingredients into a food processor (a blender will work fine too). If you don’t thicken the batter, they are more like crepes and you can roll the fruit topping inside. Pour 1/2 cup batter into a pan and cook like a pancake, until the top starts to bubble and flip.
This will make about 8 4-5 inch pancakes. I only made half the batter and saved the rest in the fridge to enjoy a fresh batch another day this week. You can also make all the pancakes and they will keep in the fridge for a day or two.
Vegan (aka DF) Greek Yogurt:
- a little over half a package of firm tofu
- up to 1/3ish cup almond milk (or whatever DF milk you prefer
- a few drops of vanilla stevia, honey, or agave nectar (you can omit this for a more sour greek yogurt taste)
- Optional: If you want true “yogurt” you can add the contents of 1 probiotic capsule to the mix.
Put all the ingredients in your blending contraption (I use my food processor) and give it a whirl.